Using ice penetrating radar, Professor Jonathan Bamber from Bristol University, mapped a branching river valley that winds for over 400 miles through Greenland’s central plain. After cutting a deep gorge through the coastal mountains, the ancient river valley runs east to the sea. The valley’s V-shaped walls and flat bottom suggest that it formed by running water, before Greenland was covered with kilometers of ice. Graphic credit J. Bamber, University Bristol. The mountains in the picture are represented by blue and the low lying terrain is brown. How do inland rivers cut canyons through coastal mountains? A coastal mountain range runs from Alaska to Mexico yet rivers that start in inland plains cut through the mountains to reach the Pacific. Evidently, the rivers gradually incised the valleys as the mountains were simultaneously rising.
How old are the mountains? The Bible teaches two things that, to a western mindset, are incompatible. It associates geological eons with the Old Testament era, which occupied only about 4,000 years. We read of the birth of mountains (Psalm 90:2) that are compared to God’s olam ad olam (eons upon eons) existence. Olam means a vast, out of sight, over the horizon era. The Bible does not mention mountains until 1656 years after creation. The mountains rose as the waters of the cataclysm drained into wide valleys (Psalm 104:6-8). This is evidently a reference to the beginning of the modern oceans. Drill cores show that the land-locked eastern Mediterranean is the oldest ocean. Scientists claim its floor is 270 million years old, older then the Pacific, the Arctic, Indian and Atlantic oceans. According to the Bible, the Earth’s watery division (palag) happened during Peleg’s days, four generations after Noah. How can geological eons (mountains, incised canyons and new seas) fit 6,000 years of biblical history?
The biblical Job lived about 4,000 years ago when dinosaurs still lounged in the Jordan. Job related to the shortness of life to geological events: (1) mountains falling and crumbing, as rocks continue to be moved from their place; (2) water wears down rocks; (3) as water continually washes away the dust of the earth; (4) the sea (Hebrew west) and streams dry. Drill cores confirm that the Mediterranean (west of Job) dried eight times, leaving thick layers of plankton sandwiched between gypsum, salt and stromatolites. In some Mediterranean basins, drill cores find 2,000 meters of rock salt that precipitated when that portion of the Mediterranean was a salt march. A great submarine canyon runs on the sea floor east of Gibraltar, showing how the Mediterranean refilled from the younger Atlantic. According to scientists, the last Mediterranean drying occurred 5 millions years ago. It is unlkiley that Job lived more than 5,000 years ago.
Drill cores along the Nile valley show that it incised a narrow gorge, deeper than the Grand Canyon, as it rushed down into the mostly empty Mediterranean. Scientists estimate the early Nile formed 35 million years ago. After the Mediterranean refilled for the last time, the Nile canyon filled with silt and formed a delta. Job ended his poem on the brevity of life by claiming their faces changed, doubled, before they died. The skull is the only part of our skeleton that grows as we age. If we lived for eons, our faces would grow huge brain buckets with Neanderthal brows. Neanderthal infants had modern looking skulls, although some had worn enamel on primary teeth, as though they were eons old, yet still infants. The picture of the skull of a Neanderthal old man is from Gibraltar and is under a CC 3.0 License by AquilaGib from wikipedia. When most of the Old Testament was written, the western concept of an actual and linear time had not yet been unimagined.
- (1) Ancient people looked back with longing on their ancestors who, they claimed, lived in a long-enduring, spring-like world. Josephus, the first century historian wrote, “Now I have for witnesses, to what I have said, all those that have written Antiquities, both among the Greeks and Barbarians. For even Manetho, who wrote the Egyptian History; and Berossus, who collected the Chaldean Monuments; and Mochus, and Hestiæus, and, besides these, Hieronymus the Egyptian, and those that composed the Phenician History, agree to what I here say. Hesiod also, and Hecatæus, and Hellanicus, and Acusilaus; and, besides these, Ephorus and Nicolaus relate that the ancients lived a thousand years.”
- (2) The genealogies of many early nations are preserved in various documents. The lists are similar to the biblical genealogies, often mentioning the same people we find in Genesis 10.
- (3) The Sumerian king list shows that the earliest kings reigned for tens of thousands of years, while the last kings only reigned for decades. Evidently the scribe was estimating the longer duration of ancient years with shorter, later years. Jacob mentioned that his days and years were shorter and worse than those of his fathers (Genesis 47:9). Jacob’s words would have been understood literally in his days.
- (4) Ancient people, including the biblical authors, mentioned close planet passages and the shattering of a planet. Indeed, we find thousands of shattered planet fragments orbiting our Sun (comets and asteroids). They contain rocks formed in liquid water (cubanite) and crystals formed under volcanic conditions. Evidently a planet was shattered, back when the solar system was much smaller.
What causes days and years to continually shorten, as every old person experiences?
- Atomic clocks in the ancient universe visibly clock tiny fractions of the frequencies of modern atoms. When NASA compared its hydrogen maser atomic clocks with their transponded reflections from hours ago, the clocks-of the moment were running faster than they did hours ago. The clock acceleration increased with the distance to the transponders on the spacecraft and correlated with the Hubble ratio times the speed of light. Hundreds of billions of ancient galaxies shine at lower frequencies than modern atoms.
- We observe that clocks accelerate concurrently with the accelerating star streams when we compare the light and shapes of galaxies at many ranges. We observe at different ranges how globs packed with close together stars emerged from the unformed matter in the core of each galaxy. We observe that the properties of matter change as stars accelerate outward as the atomic clocks also change their frequencies.
- A scientist could argue: even if gravity emerges from changing atoms, it would take a steadily force on the Earth to accelerate days and years continually (relative to former days and years). I agree. Gravity itself provides this force. Gravity travels at a finite speed, the speed of light, which produces a gravity aberration. Gravity aberration (delay in transit) from the Sun pulls more on Earth’s sunrise than its sunset. This steadily accelerates rotations and orbits together. It also causes all the planets to have logarithmic spacing as we see in the solar system and the planets around nearby stars. According to Hebrews 11:3, God commanded the plural eons to passively form out of things unseen. Billions of galaxies grew out from things unseen, often growing into huge, local, growth spirals.
Galactic history is the most powerful evidence for a literal biblical creation. If you are unfamiliar with the literal, grammatical, Hebrew creation text, read the seven days of Creation on this web site.